Re: Running Postgres Daemons with same data files

От Sam Barnett-Cormack
Тема Re: Running Postgres Daemons with same data files
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Matt Clark wrote:

> Well I wasn't joking.
>
> If you want to get the files on disk into a state where they can be modified by a different postmaster, then you need
toshut the
> current postmaster down.  In theory, maybe, if you only want the second postmaster to have read access, then you
coulddisconnect
> all users from the current postmaster and stop accepting any more connections, but I wouldn't do it if I were you.
>
> Maybe I'm missing the point.  The only other answer is:
>
> commit;
>
> Because for postgres commit *means* commit the transaction to disk.  Of course if you're using a NAS then who knows
whetherthe
> files have _really_ been written to disk after an fsync.  Postgres just has to believe what the operating system
tellsit...

Of course, they might just get written to the WAL... the *only* way to
get the files into a consistent, safe state is to stop the server.
Sorry.

> > Don't joke, this for stopping the Postgres Server. I want close the
> > files in between the database operations. I am looking for some SQL
> > command like in Mysql command is 'flush tables'. what's in postgres?
> >
> > regards
> > bhartendu

> > > pg_ctl stop

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths
UK Mirror Service (http://www.mirror.ac.uk)  |  Lancaster University

Сообщение: Re: Running Postgres Daemons with same data files
Сообщение: Re: Running Postgres Daemons with same data files