Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

От Brian Knox
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Philip Warner wrote:

> What are the consequences of the problem?

Speaking from the perspective of a long time postgresql user, who
currently has several very mission critical applications using postgresql
on the back end, at a very large company...

I can say the one consequence of the problem that I have run into
personally, is convincing management to allow me to use postgresql for my
projects to begin with. Fortunately, where I am currently employed, I was
able to bash my head against the brick wall until they got tired of
hearing from me, and allowed me to go with postgresql instead of sybase
(which was their first choice, as the corporation already has a sybase
site license).

The lack of name recognition was a factor that contributed to the
difficulty of getting postgresql accepted. The last thing a non technical
middle manager wants to tell his or her manager is that some mission
critical application that just crashed was running on some database he had
never heard of before that he gave the go ahead to use.

Anyway, this probably doesn't belong on this mailing list, but I saw the
question and figured I'd answer :)

By the way, I'm happy to report that after a year of absolutely flawless
performance ( except the day the raid array imploded, which was hardly
postgres's fault ), postgresql has a very good reputation in my
department.

Brian Knox
Systems Programmer