Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

От Philip Warner
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group  (Brian Knox <brian@mail.pantalaimon.net>)
Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At 05:48 PM 4/12/2002 -0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>Lack of marketing is one of Postgres's major problems.

What are the consequences of the problem?

>Particularly when you compare against similar efforts from MySQL, Oracle,
>etc.

You could even include Microsoft here - they do a lot of database
marketing. I am not at all sure the fact that a lot of large companies with
dubious products engage in extensive marketing is a reason for *us* to
engage in extensive marketing.

We already have a substantial following, and our clients have direct access
to the developers, so any marketing group is pretty irrelevant for existing
clients. So the only place I can see for a marketing group is in building
our market share by bringing in new clients.

If that is what we want, then fine. But I don't want to see any part of the
development effort distorted or the existing user base inconvenienced in an
effort to purely gain that market share. I usually associate increased
marketing with decreased quality, and I think the causality works *both* ways.

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group