7.3 RPMS.

От Lamar Owen
Тема 7.3 RPMS.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I have built and am uploading RPMS for 7.3.  Mirror propagation being what it
is, it may take a day or two for these packages to make the rounds.

You may find them at:
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.3/RPMS

Source RPM in SRPMS, Red Hat 8 RPMS in redhat-8.0.  I will be building Red Hat
7.3 RPMs soon.  Many thanks to Joe Conway for lighting the fire under me (by
releasing unofficial RPMs -- that's a good sign 'you're late Lamar!'); as
well as 'thanks' for this ice storm that kept me home today to do this.....
:-) (otherwise, I had (have) a deskful of Real Work piled up.....)

The source RPM is up; the binaries are on their way as I hit send.

There are significant changes in this RPM from previous releases.  Most
significantly there is experimental support for multiple postmasters,
courtesy Karl DeBisschop.  Next most significantly, upgrading the server
subpackage from a previous major version IS NOT SUPPORTED.  AT ALL.  If an
rpm -U works for you without you going through odd RPM measures for
postgresql-server-7.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm, then I've made an error somewhere,
because the upgrade lock worked here :-).

Upgrading must be done by dumping the old database out, rpm -e the old server
subpackage, install the new server subpackage, start the new postmaster
(initdb is automatic on first start when using the supplied initscript), and
restore your data.  Upgrading the remainder of the subpackages IS supported
-- you may upgrade everything but the server subpackage, migrate your data,
and do the dump/restore dance.

Also, due to the client-side splitout in CVS and the tarball, there have been
significant changes to the packaging.  Most notably, there is no more
postgresql-perl subpackage.  Nor is there a postgresql-odbc, or postgresql-tk
(which really was primarily pgaccess, which is separate now -- and the pgtksh
client is now rolled into the postgresql-tcl package IF the tk client was
built at rpmbuild time).

The libpq++ and libpgeasy libraries are gone -- everything that used to be in
the main tarball but isn't anymore, basically, is gone from this RPM set.
Oddly enough you will need the Pg module installed for some of the contrib
code to actually work.....

With separate builds will come separate RPMS -- which I may or may not
maintain.....anyone who wishes to may for those clients.  To whomever
inherits the Pg build kludgage I bequeath the building section of the 7.2.3
RPMset's spec file -- good luck (and good riddance to the kludgage).

The non-plpgsql procedural languages share a subpackage called postgresql-pl
-- that is, if they were built.  Switches internal to the rpm sepc file
control the individual pieces that are built -- Red Hat 8.0 will build all
three PL's just fine, but Red Hat 7.3 won't build plperl in its default
incarnation.  So there is no more postgresql-plperl subpackage.

There are additions to the contrib package, as well as migrations from the
contrib package to the server package -- pg_resetxlog and pg_controldata in
particular.  The contrib files are installed in the expected places --
executables in /usr/bin, libraries in /usr/lib/pgsql.  Regression passes (on
Red Hat 8.0) on all but select_having, which fails due to collation sequence
issues (with the tests run in the installed binary environment, not as 'make
installcheck').

Other changes may be forthcoming depending upon user feedback. :-)  (that is,
if you complain enough about something I can deal with in the packaging, then
you might get your wish -- just don't complain to me about the lack of
upgrading support -- that part is not my fault.)  In particular, if you are
the package maintainer in charge of PostgreSQL for a Linux distribution, I
really want to hear from you. (I have heard from two).

The postgresql-python subpackage requires the 'mx' extensions to be installed
in order to work -- but not build!  Red Hat 7.3 and up include the mx
package.

The README.rpm-dist file has been updated to reflect these packaging changes.
One BIG note: if you miss '-i' on the postmaster options, you need to take a
look at /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf, and study the 'tcpip_sockets'
parameter.  Do NOT edit the initscript -- it will be overwritten during the
next upgrade.

Rebuilding from the source RPM is detailed in README.rpm-dist (with a minor
typo).  The typo is 'use rpm -ba' -- which doesn't work on any distribution
with RPM 4.1 installed (such as Red Hat 8).  You will need to use 'rpmbuild
-ba' or 'rpmbuild --rebuild' instead -- which also will work on RPM 4.0.x
boxen.

The recent entries in the CHANGELOG for the spec file are as follows (it
refers to 7.3-0.5PGDG, and should have read 7.3-1PGDG, but the source RPM was
already uploaded before I caught it -- and at 33.6 dialup (that's bouncing up
and down like a yoyo due to periodic telephone service interruptions) a 10MB
file takes a little time to upload (as in a couple of hours or more), and
it's an insignificant change.):

%changelog
* Wed Dec 04 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.3-0.5PGDG
- Jerk out all perl client stuff and kludgage
- Rename plperl subpackage to a pl subpackage containing all but PL/Pgsql PL's
- Eliminate locale and multibyte explicit enables -- they are both defaults
now
- Eliminate pgaccess code; it's not a part of the main tarball anymore
- Eliminate ODBC stuff -- it's also separate now.  Use unixODBC instead.
- Eliminated separate tk client package -- rolled the tk client into the tcl
client.
- Moved pltcl into the pl subpackage.
- Added plpython to the pl subpackage.
- /etc/sysconfig/pgsql is sysconfdir for multiple postmaster startup.

* Mon Dec 02 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.3-0.1PGDG (not released)
- Integrate 7.3 jar's courtesy Joe Conway
- Integrate multi-postmaster initscript courtesy Karl DeBisschop
- Some renames and restructures.
- Stripped out the last dregs of the postgresql-dump migration script.
- Conflicts with less than 7.3.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio