Re: Alternative cluster location

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Alternative cluster location
Дата
Re: Alternative cluster location  (<btober@seaworthysys.com>)
Список pgsql-general
btober@seaworthysys.com writes:

> So I've been thinking that the /var/lib/pgsql/data default cluster data
> directory was an odd choice, since a database, which while definitely
> subject to lots of change (which favors /var...), is likely neither
> temporary nor small (which argues for somewhere else, I think).

The /var directory is for variable data files.  Nothing says anything
about temporary or small.

> probably did so with good reason, I'm compelled to ask what do some of
> you think about the idea of creating a "home" directory for postgres on
> the partition mounted at /home, and using, say, /home/postgres/pgsql/data
> as the cluster data directory

Sure you can do that, but it doesn't seem particularly cleaner to me.  You
might argue that "home" is for personal files, so you would be at the
wrong place again.

In the end, it's purely a matter of personal (or organizational) taste,
not a technical tradeoff.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Сообщение: Alternative cluster location