Re: Alternative cluster location

От kdebisschop@alert.infoplease.com
Тема Re: Alternative cluster location
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 10:23, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> btober@seaworthysys.com writes:
>
> > So I've been thinking that the /var/lib/pgsql/data default cluster data
> > directory was an odd choice, since a database, which while definitely
> > subject to lots of change (which favors /var...), is likely neither
> > temporary nor small (which argues for somewhere else, I think).
>
> The /var directory is for variable data files.  Nothing says anything
> about temporary or small.
>
> > probably did so with good reason, I'm compelled to ask what do some of
> > you think about the idea of creating a "home" directory for postgres on
> > the partition mounted at /home, and using, say, /home/postgres/pgsql/data
> > as the cluster data directory

On linux, you may also want to consider the most recent proposed FHS,
which suggests a top-level /srv directory used for 'data generated by
users for the services the system offers'

Personally, I like the FHS and would prefer that the various distros
installed postgresql in a manner more consistent with it (and if
necessary that the postgresql configs were modified to make that and
easier alternative.) But as you say, Peter, there is a great deal of
personal preference that goes into these considerations.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please

Сообщение: Re: Alternative cluster location
Сообщение: Re: Alternative cluster location