Re: Alternative cluster location

От
Тема Re: Alternative cluster location
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> btober@seaworthysys.com writes:
>
>> So I've been thinking that the /var/lib/pgsql/data default cluster
>> data directory was an odd choice, since a database, which while
>
> Sure you can do that, but it doesn't seem particularly cleaner to me.
> You might argue that "home" is for personal files, so you would be at
> the wrong place again.
>
> In the end, it's purely a matter of personal (or organizational) taste,
> not a technical tradeoff.

I think the original driving thought technically has something to do with
system backup, and restore or system re-install in the case of
catastrophic failure, as well as what I've alluded to in regards to
original server setup planning and how intended usage impacts decisions
with respect to hard drive partitioning (and vice versa?). I don't think
there is much under /var that I usually consider necessary to back up.
The postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf files are valuable, and while the
data base obviously is THE principle value, tar on the cluster data
directory is not useful.

Maybe at least piping the output of pg_dump for backup purposes to
/home/postgres would make sense, so as to catch the database backup snap
shot along with the user data in a nightly run of tar on the /home
partition.

~Berend Tober