Re: Function Problem

От Jakub Ouhrabka
Тема Re: Function Problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
hi,

> I've got this function which works off a trigger.
> The trigger is calling the function ok, but I get this error.
> <error>
> NOTICE: plpgsql: ERROR during compile of mon_sum_update near line 43
> ERROR: parse error at or near ""
>
> Now line 43 is this either the return null or end statement at the end of
> the function...
>
> RETURN NULL;
>
> END

unfortunately, the error messages aren't always accurate in plpgsql...

> Can anyone see what I've done wrong in there?

i think there are few mistakes: there is missing "END IF;" in all IF
statements, it should look like this:

IF (condition) THEN
    statement;
END IF;

also conditions aren't always perfect, you should use "=" instead of
"==" for comparison in plpgsql.

don't use aposthrophes inside the function, it isn't necessary for
expressions like new.field... if you really want them, use double
aposthrophes "''" - you must quote them inside the plpgsql function.

and may be there are some other mistakes. i would suggest to study syntax
of plpgsql at http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?plpgsql.html
carefully. it can save you a lot of time when debugging functions - the
compiler isn't very wise when reporting errors...

hth,

kuba