Re: Upgrading from 7.2 to 7.4.1 on Redhat 7

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Upgrading from 7.2 to 7.4.1 on Redhat 7
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Jeremy Smith wrote:

> Thanks Lamar
>
> I will try that link later, for some reason it's not coming up now.  I tried
> one of the FTPs off of the postgresql.org site, and the folder for 7.4.1 and
> Redhat 7.3 was empty.
>
> Btw, I have removed my RPM installation of 7.4.0, and my failed attempt at
> installing 7.4.1 and am now left with a working version of 7.3.3.  I am
> almost tempted to just go ahead and use this verion and give up on all the
> installing and uninstalling.  Is there alot I would be missing out on by not
> having 7.4.1?  I plan on leasing a new server in June that would likely have
> Red Hat Enterprise on it, and hopefully it would either have an up to date
> version of postgrese, or no version at all for a clean installation.  I have
> so much work to do on my site that I hate spending valuable time on this..

7.4 is an incremental improvement over 7.3.  If you stick to 7.3, you
should at least seek out the latest 7.3 version in RPM format and do a

rpm -Uvh postgresql-7.3.5.rpm

Well, dangit, I just looked, and it appears the latest 7.3 version
available on the postgresql ftp site(s) is 7.3.4, not 7.3.5.  Anyone have
a link to a 7.3.5 rpm for rh 7.x?

7.4.x has a lot of improvements.  If you deinstall the 7.3, 7.4.x should
install just fine.  but, there's another issue.

If the server you'll be migrating to in July will only have 7.3, it is
MUCH harder to go backwards on data dumps / imports than it is to go
forwards.  I.e. if you develop on 7.4, you may find it a bit difficult
to export import from 7.4 to 7.3 (or not, I haven't tried going from 7.4
to 7.3)  So either make sure your new server can / will have 7.4, or stick
to 7.3.  I'd recommend upgrading to 7.3.4 for now, and when a set of 7.3.5
rpms comes out upgrade to them.  These are "in place" upgrades so you can
do them without a dump / restore problem.

Сообщение: Re: Upgrading from 7.2 to 7.4.1 on Redhat 7
Сообщение: Re: Upgrading from 7.2 to 7.4.1 on Redhat 7