RAID controllers etc... was: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?

От scott.marlowe
Тема RAID controllers etc... was: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 21 Oct 2003, Will LaShell wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 08:40, scott.marlowe wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > So that brings up my question, which is better, the Perc4 or Perc3
> > controllers, and what's the difference between them?  I find Dell's
> > tendency to hide other people's hardware behind their own model numbers
> > mildly bothersome, as it makes it hard to comparison shop.
>
> Perc4 has n LSI 1030 chip
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/storage/perc4di/en/ug/features.htm
>

> Perc3
> depending on the model can be a couple of things but I think they are
> all U160 controllers and not U320

Thanks.  I googled around and found this page:

http://www.domsch.com/linux/

Which says what each model is.  It looks like the "RAID" controller they
wanna charge me for is about $500 or so, so I'm guessing it's the medium
range Elite 1600 type controller, i.e. U160, which is plenty for the
machine / drive number we'll be using.

Has anyone played around with the latest ones to get a feel for them?  I
want a battery backed controller that runs well under linux and also BSD
that isn't gonna break the bank.  I'd heard bad stories about the
performance of the Adaptec RAID controllers, but it seems the newer ones
aren't bad from what I've found googling.

Сообщение: Re: Tuning for mid-size server
Сообщение: Re: Tuning for mid-size server