Re: RAID controllers etc... was: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?

От Will LaShell
Тема Re: RAID controllers etc... was: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 13:36, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2003, Will LaShell wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 08:40, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> > > So that brings up my question, which is better, the Perc4 or Perc3
> > > controllers, and what's the difference between them?  I find Dell's
> > > tendency to hide other people's hardware behind their own model numbers
> > > mildly bothersome, as it makes it hard to comparison shop.
> >
> > Perc4 has n LSI 1030 chip
> > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/storage/perc4di/en/ug/features.htm
> >

> > Perc3
> > depending on the model can be a couple of things but I think they are
> > all U160 controllers and not U320
>
> Thanks.  I googled around and found this page:
>
> http://www.domsch.com/linux/
>
> Which says what each model is.  It looks like the "RAID" controller they
> wanna charge me for is about $500 or so, so I'm guessing it's the medium
> range Elite 1600 type controller, i.e. U160, which is plenty for the
> machine / drive number we'll be using.
>
> Has anyone played around with the latest ones to get a feel for them?  I
> want a battery backed controller that runs well under linux and also BSD
> that isn't gonna break the bank.  I'd heard bad stories about the
> performance of the Adaptec RAID controllers, but it seems the newer ones
> aren't bad from what I've found googling.

We own 2 Elite 1650  and we love them.  It would be nice to have had
U320 capable controllers but the cards are completely reliable. I
recommend the LSI controllers to everyone because I've never had a
problem with them.

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Tuning for mid-size server
Сообщение: Re: Tuning for mid-size server