Re: Tuning for mid-size server

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Tuning for mid-size server
Дата
Re: Tuning for mid-size server  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:51:02AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Of course, if you have anecdotal evidence to the contrary, then the
> > only way to work this would be to have OSDL help us sort it out.
>
> Nope.  I too have such anecdotal evidence that 25% is way too high.
> It also seems to depend pretty heavily on what you're trying to
> optimise for and what platform you have.  But I'm glad to hear
> (again) that people seem to think the 25% too high for most cases.  I
> don't feel so much like I'm tilting against windmills.

I think where it makes sense is when you have something like a report
server where the result sets may be huge, but the parellel load is load,
i.e. 5 or 10 users tossing around 100 Meg or more at time.

If you've got 5,000 users running queries that are indexed and won't be
using that much memory each, then there's usually no advantage to going
over a certain number of buffers, and that certain number may be as low
as 1000 for some applications.