Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

От Christopher Murtagh
Тема Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Curt Sampson wrote:
>> Personally, if I were trying to market myself to a broader audience
>> than I have now, I would almost certainly change my name to something
>> less confusing, more memorable and easier to pronounce. And many others
>> agree with me, judging by the number of celebrities and wanna-be
>> celebrities that have done so. Not to mention products that have been
>> rebranded every decade or three to change with the changing tastes of
>> the target market.

 While I think I agree with Curt, I don't thing that it is an *urgent*
problem that is plaguing Postgres[QL]. Funny thing on /. today with
regards to OpenBeOS interviews:

" The answer to all the 'is there room in the market?' questions was
answered in a way: 'We are an OSS project. Marketing is not our job.' "

 Although I do wish that Postgres had better market presence. It is
certainly my DB of choice, but many people I have to work with/for will
first ask 'do you support MySQL?'. Now we've *had* to support MySQL, but I
believe that this is only because of its popularity and market presence.
I'd love to tell them all 'no, we support Postgres[QL] which offers a
whole lot more'.

Cheers,

Chris

--