Re: Full backup

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Full backup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Felipe Carasso writes:

>     It would be very nice, in my opinion, if the pg_dumpall tool could
> include all system tables in the dump, possibly checking for superuser
> access before doing that. It seems that only pg_shadow is added.

There is hardly ever a reason to save the full content of the system
catalogs, because the "standard" content would be added back by initdb and
the local modifications are saved by pg_dump in the form of CREATE
SOMETHING commands.  At least that *should* be the case.  Is there a
particular case you are having trouble with?

>     Also, it seems that pg_dumpall is unable to pass the -F flag to
> the sucessive calls to pg_dump.

That would be nice, but it's tricky to work out how to make sure you can
restore everything in one piece.  As it is, you could have a piece of text
file from pg_dumpall proper and a bunch of compressed archives or some
such created by the pg_dumps.  Maybe pg_dumpall needs to be taught about
the several formats that pg_dump now offers.