Re: linux/bsd

От Brett W. McCoy
Тема Re: linux/bsd
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Richard Boyes wrote:

> I'm in the process of making some decisions as to
> what OS I should be using for a product that development
> will begin on soon. It's a web based thing using postgres,
> apache etc and will be all on one machine.
>
> My question is to what operating system would be a better
> one to use for postgres. ie linux/bsd.
>
> I know postgres works fine on both but some opinion
> from the postgres developer community as to which OS
> they prefer would have a bearing on this decision.

I've only used it on Linux, so I can only vouch for that.  BSD has a
better reputation for stability and robustness, so for the ultimate
server, BSD may be your best choice (this isn't to say Linux is stable and
robust, because it is).  You will find better hardware support for Linux,
because there is more stuff that will run under Linux than will run under
FreeBSD.

This is probably not at ahll helpful!  I'd say just pick one and go with
it.

-- Brett
                   http://www.chapelperilous.net/btfwk/
A rolling stone gathers momentum.