Re: speed on Postgresql compared to Mysql

От Lincoln Yeoh
Тема Re: speed on Postgresql compared to Mysql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 05:30 AM 08-04-2001 -0400, Joel Burton wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Livio Righetti wrote:
>> Also we used Postgresql for Radius (authentication) et we have to make 3
>> vacuum per day otherwise the first server is overload and the user go to
the
>> backup server.
>>
>> Is it normal or my Postgresql is not well configured ?
>
>Err, yes.
>
>Did you just do 40,000 inserts in a row, one after another? Realistic
>speed tests often have many requests coming in together, to simulate
>application- and web-usage.
>
>In addition, did you wrap this in a transaction? Otherwise, you're
>performing one transaction for *every single* insert, which is much slower
>than in a a transaction.
>
>(Generally speaking, if you want to just add 40,000 rows to a table, I'd
>use COPY, not INSERT ;-) )

I don't think COPY is useful or relevant in a normal ISP authentication
logging scenario.

Wrapping more than one insert doesn't help either. I think you would
normally want to commit each customer's transaction individually.

From his figures he can sustain about 136 inserts a second. Is that good
enough for peak loads at a medium to big ISP?

Cheerio,
Link.