Re: caching query results

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: caching query results
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Seems to be an issue with the mailing list, it's very quiet for a while and
then there's quite a few messages turn up. In this instance
developers.postgresql.org keep hold of the message for a few hours and then
relay3.phsql.com kept hold for a while. Just so you know.

Now to the message:

On Wed, 21 May 2003, alex b. wrote:

> hello dear people without shaved necks!
>
> as many of you have already told me cursors are the way to go - now I know!
>
> there it is, kindly provided my BILL G.:
>
>    BEGIN;
>    DECLARE <cursorname> FOR <query>;
>    FETCH <number_of_rows> FROM <cursorname>;
>    MOVE {FORWARD|BACKWARD} <number_of_rows> IN <cursorname>;
>

> THANK YOU ALL VERY VIEL (much in german)!!!
>
> I will now have to implement session ID's into my CGI's...

I had a feeling you'd be doing something like that. I think cursors can't
remain open across a transaction close and definitely not across a connection
close. But I'll look forward to hearing the opposite.

> oh by the way... lets say a transaction has begun and was never
> commited.. what will happen to it?

It will rollback when the connection closes.

> is there a automatic rollback after a certain time?
> or would there be ton's of open transactions?

If the connection never closes then the transaction will remain in progress.

--
Nigel Andrews