Re: uncommited question

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: uncommited question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, scott.marlowe wrote:

> Postgresql is in autocommit mode until you initiate a transaction with a
> begin statement.
>
> I.e. when you enter the psql monitor, and type in:
>
> update table set field1='something' where id=45;
>
> Postgresql internally wraps the update in the equivalent of a begin;end;
> pair.
>
> There was some talk of making psql run in a kind of auto-transact mode,
> where it would throw a begin; when you started it up, and another when you
> did a commit or rollback.  I haven't seen any work done on it though.  I
> kinda prefer the way postgresql does it, but can understand the
> advantages to the way Oracle et. al. do it.

This caught me out when I started with PostgreSQL as well. It also took me a
while to work out from the documentation that autocommit was not some sort of
configuration parameter and was simply a BEGIN statement. If someone can bear
the boredom I would request that the documentation is changed to make this
clear. I might have a quick scan through the directory tree myself this weekend
to see what format the docs are in.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Сообщение: Re: oid's and primary keys on insert
Сообщение: Re: oid's and primary keys on insert