Re: uncommited question

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: uncommited question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, scott.marlowe wrote:
> >
> > Postgresql is in autocommit mode until you initiate a transaction with a
> > begin statement.
> >
> > I.e. when you enter the psql monitor, and type in:
> >
> > update table set field1='something' where id=45;
> >
> > Postgresql internally wraps the update in the equivalent of a begin;end;
> > pair.
> >
> > There was some talk of making psql run in a kind of auto-transact mode,
> > where it would throw a begin; when you started it up, and another when you
> > did a commit or rollback.  I haven't seen any work done on it though.  I
> > kinda prefer the way postgresql does it, but can understand the
> > advantages to the way Oracle et. al. do it.
>

> This caught me out when I started with PostgreSQL as well. It also took me a
> while to work out from the documentation that autocommit was not some sort of
> configuration parameter and was simply a BEGIN statement. If someone can bear
> the boredom I would request that the documentation is changed to make this
> clear. I might have a quick scan through the directory tree myself this weekend
> to see what format the docs are in.

Oops, I think I need another egg, I seem to have an as yet unegged spot on my
face.

Now I know when I started out I was confused and I was looking for an
autocommit configuration/settable type item but scanning the directory tree
I'll be blowed if I can find an occurrance of autocommit that doesn't mention
that this requires a BEGIN statement. Obviously I'm ignoring the ecpg, odbc and
jdbc interfaces that do seem to have an autocommit flag.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---
Logictree Systems Limited
Computer Consultants

Сообщение: Re: oid's and primary keys on insert
Сообщение: Re: oid's and primary keys on insert