Re: URGENT: Database keeps crashing - suspect damaged RAM

От Ralph Graulich
Тема Re: URGENT: Database keeps crashing - suspect damaged RAM
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> several partitions spread about on all the platters you can, as the kernel
> will then interleave swap access across all the drives for maximum
> performance.
[...]

Although this is rather a linux question than a postgresql's one, I want
to add that if you have several swap partitions and want to prefer using
one over another, you should set the "pri"-parameter in /etc/fstab, like

/dev/sdn1       swap              pri=1 0 0
/dev/sdf4       swap              pri=2 0 0
/dev/sdg4       swap              pri=3 0 0
/dev/sdh4       swap              pri=3 0 0
/dev/sdi4       swap              pri=3 0 0

Refer to "man stab" on your system.

This can dramatically improve performance if the server _has_ to swap, but
preferably should use a otherwise idle disk, before - in extreme
situations - should use any application disk.

Kind regards
... Ralph ...