Re: Cannot use more than 16 attributes in an index

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Cannot use more than 16 attributes in an index
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 06 Aug 2002 4:43 pm, Thomas Bolden wrote:
> I have a table with 17 attributes in the primary key.  When I try to create
> the table I get the message "ERROR:  Cannot use more than 16 attributes in
> an index".
> The table description are set by a multi-state consortium.  This is a make
> or break for Postgresql.  Is there a way to increase this limit. I have
> installed Ver 7.2.1 Postgresql on FreeBSD 4.6.

There's a constant INDEX_MAX_KEYS (pg_config.h) which looks like it could be
increased at the cost of a recompile. I'm sure one of the developers will say
if this is possible.

Failing that, you could use a functional index, although I think there's a max
number of parameters constant you'd have to increase for that. I know you can
increase the number of parameters for a function though.

HTH

- Richard Huxton