Re: Postgres & large tables on average machine

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: Postgres & large tables on average machine
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Nicholay P. Chuprynin wrote:

> Hello, All!
> Resently I had to create and manage the (relatively) large table.
> In the mean time it's about 8 million rows, and surely will grow above
> this size.
> The problem is that queries takes absolutely not acceptable time.
> Database located on average Celeron 400 machine with 128 Mb of RAM and
> UDMA 33 capable IDE drive.
> I run PostgreSQL 7.1 on Debian Linux with 2.4.18 kernel.
> My question is what could be done in order to improve the performance?
> I mean, is that normal behavior for Postgres on such computer or I
> encounter a misconfiguration?
>
> Nicholay

It all depends. We'd need more information about the DB and the query before
being able to say anything. Have you tried EXPLAINing the query?

I have a 1 million row table in a DB hosted on a 333MHz Celeron, 96MB. A full
sequential scan takes something like 30 seconds (I think) whereas queries using
an index are sub second.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director