Re: [GENERAL] Postgres on Ultrasparc

От Silvio Macedo
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Postgres on Ultrasparc
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Oleg!

Thank you for your email.
Maybe I was not clear enough.

I wanted to know information about running Postgresql on Linux on a
Ultrasparc. Like this:

Postgresql on top of
|| | | | |
Linux Kernel on top of
| | | | |
Ultrasparc Hardware

So, no Linux/Intel , no Solaris/Sparc , but Linux/Sparc.

I have my Linux Kernel (2.2.5 || 2.2.12 || 2.2.13 ) running on a
Ultrasparc without any problems ( I run httpd, ftpd, nfs, samba, gnome,
lpd, etc etc, compiled a few kernels, etc) but when I run postgres and
start the regression tests... BOOM! Not even SysReq, register dump..
nothing...

Thanks anyway!
It's always good to know that Solaris will always be a solution...

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Silvio Macedo wrote:
> > I would very much like to know if anybody has any experience in running
> > Postgres on Linux, on a Ultrasparc machine. Any version of Postgres, any
> > version of the Linux Kernel, any model of Ultrasparc.
> >
> > My system still halts completely when I run regression tests.
>
>    Sure. All versions of Postgres, all linucies, all sparcs - no problem.
>
> Host oper.med.ru - Pentium, linux, Debian 2.1. Postgres 6.4.2.
>    Recently the system got major hardware problem (overheated processor and
> damaged memory or motherboard). The system got down to its knees, but I
> moved the disk to another system. Filesystem was slightly corrupted, but
> fsck restored it, postgres started up and now it is alive and well.
>
> Host www.indicator.ru (now closed due to lack of manager's interests).
>    Pentium, linux, Redhat 5.2. Postgres 6.4.0 and 6.4.2. No problem.
>
> Host sun.med.ru - Ultra-1, Solaris 2.5.1 with some Sunsolve patches. It is
> my debugging environment, so there were all versions of Postgres - 6.3.2,
> 6.4, 6.4.2, 6.5.1. All went well, including regression tests.
>
> Oleg.
> ----
>     Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net
>            Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.

Silvio Emanuel Nunes Barbosa de Macedo

smacedo@ic.ac.uk                                         smacedo@inescn.pt
Imperial College, University of London                         INESC Porto
Intelligent and Interactive Systems                Telecom. and Multimedia
Exhibition Road,                                       Pc da Republica, 93
London SW7 2AZ, England                            4050-497 PORTO PORTUGAL
Tel:+44 171 5946323                                    Tel:+351 22 2094220