Re: Re: Notes about int8 sequences

От Roderick A. Anderson
Тема Re: Re: Notes about int8 sequences
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Hmm.  That's a possibility.  There's some potential for trouble if an
> application is expecting an int4 result from "SELECT nextval()" and
> gets int8 instead, but if we think we could live with that...

I assume there will be the same limitations as you mentioned in your
original message.  Ie. some systems don't have an 8-byte-int C datatype
so would still have the 2^31 limit.

> Actually, if we thought we could live with that, my inclination would be
> to blow off int4-based sequences altogether, and just redefine SEQUENCE
> objects as operating on INT8.  Interesting thought, eh?

More than interesting ... excellant.  Bigger is better, right?

Cheers,
Rod
--                 Remove the word 'try' from your vocabulary ...                     Don't try.  Do it or don't do it
...                              Steers try!

                                                           Don Aslett

Сообщение: Re: Possible solution for LIKE optimization
Сообщение: Re: Possible solution for LIKE optimization