Re: Notes about int8 sequences

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Notes about int8 sequences
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Allan Engelhardt <allane@cybaea.com> writes:
> I'm not really a hacker, but why couldn't you simply change nextval to
> return int8 in all cases?

Hmm.  That's a possibility.  There's some potential for trouble if an
application is expecting an int4 result from "SELECT nextval()" and
gets int8 instead, but if we think we could live with that...

Actually, if we thought we could live with that, my inclination would be
to blow off int4-based sequences altogether, and just redefine SEQUENCE
objects as operating on INT8.  Interesting thought, eh?