RE: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .

От Tom Cook
Тема RE: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .
Дата
RE: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .  (Peter Eisentraut <e99re41@DoCS.UU.SE>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Andrew Snow wrote:

> > When we are sure all platforms support 64-bit int's, we will move in
> > that direction.
>
> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but couldn't you fairly easily make it
> an option at compile time? To use either 32 or 64 bit OID's.
> (And, less importantly, for sequences)

Is this necessarily a good solution? If you use 64-bit OIDs, some joker
will just hook up a several-terra-byte disk array to his machine, try to
store the location of every molecule in the universe and break it.

Admittedly, ~2x10^20 is a very large number, but that's what they thought
about 2000, also...

What I'm saying is, is there a better way of doing this?

Cheers
--
Tom Cook - Software Engineer

"Christ died for sin, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God."
    - 1 Peter 3:18

LISAcorp - www.lisa.com.au

38 Greenhill Rd.          Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville, SA, 5034        Sydney, NSW, 2000

Phone:   +61 8 8272 1555  Phone:   +61 2 9283 0877
Fax:     +61 8 8271 1199  Fax:     +61 2 9283 0866