RE: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .

От Andrew Snow
Тема RE: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Is this necessarily a good solution? If you use 64-bit OIDs, some joker
> will just hook up a several-terra-byte disk array to his machine, try to
> store the location of every molecule in the universe and break it.

If you have to have OIDs at all, its a lot better than a 32 bit number.  I
think it would be easier to switch to 64 bit OIDs than ditch them
completely.
The "serial" type should definitely be 64 bit.  To make matters worse I
believe its really only a 31 bit number as the plus/minus symbol is
discarded.  But I think moving to 64 bit will take place soon enough, when
it needs to, and it should shut everyone up.

> "Christ died for sin, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring
> you to God."
>     - 1 Peter 3:18

Is it just me, or are there a lot of Christian PostgreSQL users? ;-)  (I'm
not knocking it, I'm one too..)

- Andrew

Сообщение: RE: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .
Сообщение: Re: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .