Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)

От Thomas Good
Тема Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > How hard is it to say "Postgresquel", really?  Don't tell me you've been
> > > saying "Postgres cue ell".....;-)
>
> I'll bet that even the coiners of the term have some differences in
> their pronunciation. For the record, I use "Postgres" usually, and
> "Postgres-cue-ell" when forced...
>
>                     - Thomas
>
> Since we cap the "S", however you pronounce "SQL" should probably be
> how you do the end of "PostgreSQL". Lamar, are you a "ess-quel"
> person? That may be a regional dialect. Don't even get me started on
> that: it took me years to get over my strong inclination to use
> "hacker" to refer to a bad, clueless programmer...

And how do you say Linux, Thomas?  I have a friend in Regina, Saskatchewan
(that's ra-Jine-ah, not ra-geen-ah) who says LINE-ex...I wince every time
I hear it.  In fact, sometimes, if I'm less than fully caffeinated it
doesn't even register that he's made a reference to Linn-Ucks...
(Usually I truncate it to Lin-icks or simply:  Slackware ;-)

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good                                   MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs:                  tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org                                         Phone:
718-354-5528                                          Fax:   718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */