Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5
Дата
Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Mark Wong wrote:

> I'm also capturing the PostgreSQL parameters as suggested so we can
> see what's set in the config file, default, command line etc.  It's
> the "Settings" link in the "System Summary" section on the report web
> page.

Those look good, much easier to pick out the stuff that's been customized.
I note that the Linux "Settings" links seems to be broken though.

To recap a summary here, what you had before were:

shared_buffers=24MB checkpoint_segments=100 notpm=7527
shared_buffers=8192MB checkpoint_segments=3 notpm=7996

And the new spots show:
shared_buffers=7680MB checkpoint_segments=100 notpm=9178

What's neat about your graphs now is that I think you can see the
checkpoints happening in the response time graphs.  For example, if you
look at
http://207.173.203.223/~markwkm/community6/dbt2/pgtune.1000.100.1/report/rt_d.png
and you focus on what happens just before each 10 minute mark, I'm
guessing that response time spike is the fsync phase at the end of the
checkpoint.  That's followed by a period where response time is really
fast.  That's because those writes are all pooling into the now cleared
out Linux buffer cache, but pdflush isn't really being aggressive about
writing them out yet.  On your server that can absorb quite a few writes
before clients start blocking on them, which is when response time climbs
back up.

A particularly interesting bit is to compare against the result with the
peak notpm you had in your earlier tests, where shared_buffers=15360MB:
http://207.173.203.223/~markwkm/community6/dbt2/shared_buffers/shared_buffers.15360MB/report/rt_d.png

While the average speed was faster on that one, the worst-case response
time was much worse.  You can really see this by comparing the response
time distribution.

Big shared buffers but low checkpoint_segments:
http://207.173.203.223/~markwkm/community6/dbt2/shared_buffers/shared_buffers.15360MB/report/dist_d.png

Medium shared buffers and medium checkpoint_segments:
http://207.173.203.223/~markwkm/community6/dbt2/pgtune.1000.100.1/report/dist_d.png

The checkpoint spreading logic is making a lot more transactions suffer
moderate write delays in order to get a big improvement in worst-case
behavior.

The next fine-tuning bit I'd normally apply in this situation is to see if
increasing checkpoint_completion_target from the default (0.5) to 0.9 does
anything to flatten out that response time graph.  I've seen a modest
increase in wal_buffers (from the default to, say, 1MB) help smooth out
the rough spots too.