Re: What's happening with pgsql-committers?

От Alex Pilosov
Тема Re: What's happening with pgsql-committers?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
> > > Has anybody been getting pgsql-committers messages the last few days?
> >
> > Coming through fine for me (at least when hub.org isn't wedged
> > completely, which it was several times over the weekend...)
>
> We hit a corruption of -general again this past week (I've really gotta
> dive into getting the postgresql backend working for majordomo instead of
> Berkeley DB :( ) ... it was causing a perl process of 900+Meg to run,
> which caused the load avg to climb unreasonably :(
Oooo, ooo, how about instead writing a ndbm/gdbm/whateverdb wrapper for
postgres?

Configurable by some file in /etc, where it would establish correspondence
between "file" argument to dbopen() and a postgres view. This would rock
for converting applications which only support dbm mappings (such as
sendmail) to use postgres transparently.

The only problem I see with it is db->fd() function which returns a
filedescriptor for the file, which some apps rely on to do flock/fcntl. On
other hand, locking of that kind will be unnecessary for postgres, so it
can return fd of some file in /tmp...

There's an attempt to do this at http://www.is.kiruna.se/~goran/ldap/arkiv/
but its very raw and not configurable.

-alex

От: The Hermit Hacker
Сообщение: Re: What's happening with pgsql-committers?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Unruly rules