Re: Postgresql on software RAID

От sumbry@sumbry.com
Тема Re: Postgresql on software RAID
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> I am experimenting with a few OS's for my new hardware. I plan to have a
> software RAID5 device for my pgsql data directory.
>
> I have been experimenting with FreeBSD and with Linux, does anyone have any
> thoughts on whether vinum RAID devices are better than Linux software RAID?
> Or vice versa... Or no difference at all? Any gotchas I should bear in mind?

I use Postgres w/Vinum setup to mirror 2 9gig SCSI Cheetahs and I have
no complaints.  I bang on the db quite a bit (moderately busy site and
tons of data analysis) and performance is great.  Ultimately I am going to
slap a hardware RAID card in there (need the immediate failover) but right
now software wise performance is great.  I'd probably only recommend
doing mirroring in software though, RAID-5 is going to eat up alot more
CPU and disk writes.

--
"Don't 'kill -9' the SYSVMSG"
sumbry@sumbry.com