Re: character type modification

От Andrei Bintintan
Тема Re: character type modification
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
This is another discuttion about this problem.

Please read these mails.

I cannot write here all the syntax:
I'll give an example: you have a table called "person" and you have a column
called "name" varchar(10) and you want to change it into varchar(25).

alter person add column name_temp varchar(25);
update person set name_temp = name;
alter person drop column name;
alter person rename column name_temp to name;

This is it. Now depending on you database complexity if you have a complex
database and a lot of indexes or triggers, you will have to drop these items
and rebuild them.

Have fun.
Andy.