Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Дата
Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  (randyboy <randyboy@whispers.blackmist.org>)
Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  ("Aaron J. Seigo" <aaron@gtv.ca>)
[PHP3] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  ("Aaron J. Seigo" <aaron@gtv.ca>)
Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  ("Luuk de Boer" <luuk@wxs.nl>)
Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison  (Michael Widenius <monty@monty.pp.sci.fi>)
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Paul DuBois wrote:

> Well ... why don't you do that?  While you're at it, if you can supply
> more recent benchmarks for Postgres to the MySQL people, I doubt if they'd
> refuse them.   The benchmark page is meant to be helpful, not misleading
> or a propaganda tool for MySQL.

Actually, if you go through the PostgreSQL archives, there was *at least*
one major attempt at getting the MySQL benchmark page upgraded...the
thread involved the MySQL guys, and several of ours, and went on for a few
days...if I recall it all correctly...

...end result...no changes :(

The problem, as I see it, is how can you do a fair comparison when those
features we'd use to improve performance, subselects to name one, aren't
available in MySQL?

What I'd love to see is a common set of data to work from, and table
structures...then come up with, again, a common set of "results expected",
from the database.  Then, let the MySQL guys provide their query for the
results, and let the PostgreSQL guys come up with theirs, and compare
*that*.  Don't compare how to get the results the fastest through MySQL,
and then how the same query stands up under PostgreSQL...let us give them
how to get it fastest from PostgreSQL...

The problem also comes down to common hardware...

Anyone out there running a machine, and have the time, to do something
like this?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org