Re: doing backups

От Jeff MacDonald
Тема Re: doing backups
Дата
Список pgsql-general
that's true but that still assumes you know the pasword.

also someone mentioned that you can just su to any account,
well that's true but it still doesn't negate teh fact that the
user has a passwd on thier database. as i said, i think
the postgres user should have acess to all databases no matter
what.

jeff

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Moray McConnachie wrote:

> >> Now if you make pgsql user and postgresql analgous to
> >> root and unix, the postgres user shouldn't need a passwd.
>
> >My root users always have passwords. *shrug* But you're right, automated
> >backup on password protected databases is next to impossible right now,
> >especially when using pg_dump. If those users want to enable you to do
> >backups for them perhaps they should give you (and only you) some sort of
> >ident controlled access.
>
> I missed the first half of this, but, if I have understood correctly, I
> don't think this is the case: you can do automated backups by doing
>
> echo -e 'username\npassword\n' | pg_dump -u databasename
>

> Yours,
> Moray

Jeff MacDonald
jeff@pgsql.com