Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn> writes:
> > > [ pithy summary of CORBA snipped --- thanks, Michael! ]
> >
> > >  There are three ways I can see this working:
> >
> > >  1. As a simple alternative for the current FE<->BE communication protocol.
> > >     The SQL query engine continues to intermediate all transactions.  This
> > >     has some benefits, but is really boring to me.
> >
> > I agree, that's not too exciting ... although replacing our current ad-hoc
> > FE/BE protocol with a standards-based protocol (I assume CORBA has a
> > recognized standard for the wire-level protocol?) might well be worth doing.
>
> Current FE/BE protocol seems pretty optimized to me, but you should know
> the best.  Seems like a waste to try and get it to match some standard,
> expecially if we can just create a module to do it on top of the
> existing protocol.
Except...if I'm understanding even half of this correctly...by
implementing CORBA at the FE/BE level, this effectively eliminates the
need for *us* to maintain a seperate interface for each language we want
to support, since that is what one of CORBA's design goals is...
In fact, again, if I'm understanding this correctly, this could
potentially open us up to languages we currently don't support...?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
От: Michael Robinson
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA