Re: Trouble starting postgresql

От ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Тема Re: Trouble starting postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Mike White wrote:

> When my computer starts it starts postgres. I see it happen and get no error
> messages. when I try to run psql I'm asked if the postmaster is running. If I
> try to start postmaster I'm told it can't find the data directory. I set the
> pgdata path in /etc/profile. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Do error messages get sent anywhere?  On a Linux machine,
/var/log/messages might be a place to look.  Other systems
will send error possibly to different places.  PGDATA (all
upper case) is one thing that often needs to be specified,
sometimes you need to specify somthing like PGLIB.
But, from what you've written, I'm guessing you specified
pgdata and not PGDATA.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca