Thanks...and then the question:Architecture.

От Greger Haga
Тема Thanks...and then the question:Architecture.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Dear all,
Thanks to all who replied to my "can you see it" posting.

Here's my question:
The question relates to architecture and what I am wondering about is the picture I am enclosing( Please see attachement ).

The figure enclosed shows a number of clients communicating with a number server processes which in turn calls libpg ( or was it libpq, anyway ... ) which then communicates with the database postgresql. What I am wondering about is the pros and cons of such an architecture, is it possible to do? and what's good and what's bad with it. I am in the early planning stage of a billing system for linux. No code is written yet, and won't be for a long time, until I have straightened a few things out. My idea is to use TCP/IP ( sockets + XML ) to communicate between clients and the middle server's processes and the middle server's processes then communicate with the postgresql database. The middle server would handle all requests from the client, the client would be of various types for several different tasks, each task involving querying the database.

I would very much like to have opinions from anyone with some experience designing similar systems. I have very little experience of client-server solutions and none on postgresql so I might be totally out of line...if so you are more than welcome to push me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading,
Best Regards,
Greger

--