RE: installation in windows

От Raymond
Тема RE: installation in windows
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Yu Ye Zhou

>> I try to instsall postgresql natively in the windows system. I use the
command nmake /f win32.mak with the microsoft visual C++ in my path under
the src directory. I get the psql.exe and libpq.dll and other files.
However, I am not able to start the database server. When I try the command
psql in the dos mode, I get the error message "connectDBStart()--socket
failed: error=0". Moreover I do not have the postmaster executable files.
Would I get the postmaster excutable files by executing the nmake /f
win32.mak command? I also install postgresql with Cygwin in another Window
NT. I see the postmaster.exe in that machine, with the cygwin environment. I
try to compile the postmaster.c file in visual C++. However, the C library
files such as unistd.h cannot be found. I'm not able to compile
postmaster.c. The visual C++ I used is microsoft studio 6.0 enterprise
edition. If anybody know anything about my troubles or have any insign,
Please let me know. I'm every appreciate it. Thank you and please give me
some suggestions. It would be a very great help for me. <<

I believe that Win32 compilation is primarily for the psql CLIENT.

Take a look at Porting PostgreSQL to Windows 2000 Installation Procedures
http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

You will need the current Cygwin environment http://www.cygwin.com/ and the
Cygwin32 IPC package
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/cygipc/cygipc-1.09-2
.tar.gz to run the PostgreSQL backend on Windoz.

I am currently utilizing PostgreSQL v7.1 on a Win2K notebook computer with
the above configuration; works great.

Raymond