Обсуждение: installation in windows

installation in windows

От
Yu Y Zhou
Hi:
     I try to instsall postgresql natively in the windows system. I use
the command nmake /f win32.mak with the microsoft visual C++ in my path
under the src directory. I get the psql.exe and libpq.dll and other
files. However, I am not able to start the database server. When I try the
command psql in the dos mode, I get the error message
"connectDBStart()--socket failed: error=0". Moreover I do not have the
postmaster executable files. Would I get the postmaster excutable files by
executing the nmake /f win32.mak command? I also install postgresql with
Cygwin in another Window NT. I see the postmaster.exe in that machine,
with the cygwin environment. I try to compile the postmaster.c file in
visual C++. However, the C library files such as unistd.h cannot be
found. I'm not able to compile postmaster.c. The visual C++ I used is
microsoft studio 6.0 enterprise edition.
     If anybody know anything about my troubles or have any insign, Please
let me know. I'm every appreciate it. Thank you and please give me some
suggestions. It would be a very great help for me.

     Yu Ye Zhou

Re: installation in windows

От
Christof Glaser
Дата:
On Wednesday,  6. June 2001 21:33, Yu Y Zhou wrote:
> Hi:
>      I try to instsall postgresql natively in the windows system. I
> use the command nmake /f win32.mak with the microsoft visual C++ in
> my path under the src directory. I get the psql.exe and libpq.dll and
> other files. However, I am not able to start the database server.
> When I try the command psql in the dos mode, I get the error message
> "connectDBStart()--socket failed: error=0". Moreover I do not have
> the postmaster executable files. Would I get the postmaster excutable
> files by executing the nmake /f win32.mak command? I also install
> postgresql with Cygwin in another Window NT. I see the postmaster.exe
> in that machine, with the cygwin environment. I try to compile the
> postmaster.c file in visual C++. However, the C library files such as
> unistd.h cannot be found. I'm not able to compile postmaster.c. The
> visual C++ I used is microsoft studio 6.0 enterprise edition.
>      If anybody know anything about my troubles or have any insign,
> Please let me know. I'm every appreciate it. Thank you and please
> give me some suggestions. It would be a very great help for me.
>
>      Yu Ye Zhou

Hi,

you probably need the Cygwin environment to make Windows behave
POSIX-like. See http://www.cygwin.com/

Christof
--
          gl.aser . software engineering . internet service
       http://gl.aser.de/  . Planckstraße 7 . D-39104 Magdeburg

RE: installation in windows

От
"Raymond"
Дата:
Yu Ye Zhou

>> I try to instsall postgresql natively in the windows system. I use the
command nmake /f win32.mak with the microsoft visual C++ in my path under
the src directory. I get the psql.exe and libpq.dll and other files.
However, I am not able to start the database server. When I try the command
psql in the dos mode, I get the error message "connectDBStart()--socket
failed: error=0". Moreover I do not have the postmaster executable files.
Would I get the postmaster excutable files by executing the nmake /f
win32.mak command? I also install postgresql with Cygwin in another Window
NT. I see the postmaster.exe in that machine, with the cygwin environment. I
try to compile the postmaster.c file in visual C++. However, the C library
files such as unistd.h cannot be found. I'm not able to compile
postmaster.c. The visual C++ I used is microsoft studio 6.0 enterprise
edition. If anybody know anything about my troubles or have any insign,
Please let me know. I'm every appreciate it. Thank you and please give me
some suggestions. It would be a very great help for me. <<

I believe that Win32 compilation is primarily for the psql CLIENT.

Take a look at Porting PostgreSQL to Windows 2000 Installation Procedures
http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

You will need the current Cygwin environment http://www.cygwin.com/ and the
Cygwin32 IPC package
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/cygipc/cygipc-1.09-2
.tar.gz to run the PostgreSQL backend on Windoz.

I am currently utilizing PostgreSQL v7.1 on a Win2K notebook computer with
the above configuration; works great.

Raymond

Re: installation in windows

От
Yu Y Zhou
Дата:
   I've already install postgresql with cygwin and I am able to query
simple database. However, my supervisor wants me to install postgresql
vatively under windows system. Any body knows if postgresql runs natively
under windows? Thank you for helping me.
   Yu Ye Zhou

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Christof Glaser wrote:

> On Wednesday,  6. June 2001 21:33, Yu Y Zhou wrote:
> > Hi:
> >      I try to instsall postgresql natively in the windows system. I
> > use the command nmake /f win32.mak with the microsoft visual C++ in
> > my path under the src directory. I get the psql.exe and libpq.dll and
> > other files. However, I am not able to start the database server.
> > When I try the command psql in the dos mode, I get the error message
> > "connectDBStart()--socket failed: error=0". Moreover I do not have
> > the postmaster executable files. Would I get the postmaster excutable
> > files by executing the nmake /f win32.mak command? I also install
> > postgresql with Cygwin in another Window NT. I see the postmaster.exe
> > in that machine, with the cygwin environment. I try to compile the
> > postmaster.c file in visual C++. However, the C library files such as
> > unistd.h cannot be found. I'm not able to compile postmaster.c. The
> > visual C++ I used is microsoft studio 6.0 enterprise edition.
> >      If anybody know anything about my troubles or have any insign,
> > Please let me know. I'm every appreciate it. Thank you and please
> > give me some suggestions. It would be a very great help for me.
> >
> >      Yu Ye Zhou
>
> Hi,
>
> you probably need the Cygwin environment to make Windows behave
> POSIX-like. See http://www.cygwin.com/
>
> Christof
> --
>           gl.aser . software engineering . internet service
>        http://gl.aser.de/  . Planckstra�e 7 . D-39104 Magdeburg
> Tel. +49.391.7 44 77 10 . Fax +49.391.7 44 77 13 . Mobil 0177.77 92 84 3

JDBC in postgresql

От
Yu Y Zhou
Hi:
     I install postgresql in Windows NT and I'm able to query simple
database. I try to configure JDBC in the postgresql package under the
interface directory. I reconfigure the system (JDBC and the rest of the
postgresql) over again using ./configure --with-java. When I compile the
source code using make, I get an error. It says that jakarta/ant not
found. I did see ant under the bin directory of the ant home. I also check
the path. The bin directory containing the cat is in the path. I've no
idear of what's wrong with my configuration. Is there any way that I can
intall JDBC driver with re-configure the rest of the postgresql? The
documentation only menstion that there is such way, but it does not give
any instruction. Thank you for any one that help me. I'm very appreciate.
      Thank you and please give me suggestions or help.

      Yu Ye Zhou

Re: JDBC in postgresql

От
Dennis