Re: query problem

От Nick Fankhauser
Тема Re: query problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Helen-

What I meant by "code sample" was the java code. Clearly there is nothing
wrong with the sql, but since you're probably returning more columns with
the first statement than the second one, my guess is that the java code
which processes the ResultSet works in the first case because it is
expecting more than 2 columns, but fails in the second when it attempts to
process the third and subsequent columns. Looking at the java code for
processing the result would tell us for sure.

-Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of helen liu
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 11:17 PM
To: nickf@ontko.com; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] query problem

Nick,
Thank you very much for your response. Actually, here is the details:-
I have a Students table with only three columns: firstname, lastname, email.
I issued the following select statements:
1) select * from students;
2). select firstname, last name from students;
query 1) worked fine, but query 2) got the following message in client side:
"connect and execute query: The column index is out of range."
and at db server side, I got error message:
"LOG:  pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: Connection reset by peer"
I feel that JDBC doesn't like query 2). because both query 1) & 2) works if
queried in db directly.
Many thanks for any clarification on this.
Helen
 Nick Fankhauser <nickf@ontko.com> wrote:
Helen-

There is a separate JDBC list for related questions that I suggest you use
in the future.

A code sample is needed for a really good answer, but I'll make a guess.
This message is probably telling you that you are either trying to set a
value in a where clause that has a higher index than the number you
prepared. (eg: you have two columns constrained and tried to set a third.)
Or, you are trying to read a column from the resultset that has a higher
index than those you defined when preparing the statement. (eg: your query
returns two fields and you're asking for a third.)

Your SQL statement may look fine, but you're either setting or getting
something that it doesn't have.

-Nick