Re: table test

От Nick Fankhauser
Тема Re: table test
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Manuel-

I'm still a bit confused, but will try to answer (maybe someone else can
jump in with a better interpretation).

Generally, the structure of the information you are storing should determine
the structure of the tables, so if there are three distinct fields in the
data, table one would be best, but if there are seven distinct fields, table
two would be best.

Regarding speed, fewer records (rows), will always result in faster access
to the *record*, but if you then have to search among the fields (columns)
within each record to get to the bit of data you need, then the gain is
lost. That is why you should usually make the database structure closely
match the information to be stored. This foundation starts you with the best
situation.

This is true regardless of the datatypes of the fields. There are probably a
few exceptions, but this rule is true for most situations.

The nature of your question has more to do with table structure than
database administration, so I'd suggest going to the pgsql-sql or
pgsql-general lists in the future- you might get better answers there.

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/