Re: Vacuum

От Rainer Mager
Тема Re: Vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

    I haven't been following this thread that carefully but when yesterday we
also had vacuuming problems I decided I should. Reading this message shows
that Summer's problem seems to be different than ours although they could be
connected.

    Yesterday our application stopped responding. After a little investigation
we found that 1 process on the db box was using 100% CPU. Via the ps command
we could see that there were 2 processes running continuously, a 'vacuum'
and a 'query'. Unfortunately I failed to note which was using 100% CPU.
    At the time of discovery the run-a-way process had used almost 1 hour CPU
time. Since the app wasn't responding I'm assuming one or more other
processes were blocked. I can only guess that the vacuum process was the
long one because under typical usage no queries in the application run for
more than a few seconds.

    I have since restarted the db with debug output turned on in order to track
down the queries. Any other ideas or suggestions? BTW, we're running with PG
7.1.3.

Thanks,

--Rainer