Re: Installing multiple instances of Postgred on one FreeBSD server

От Charles Sprickman
Тема Re: Installing multiple instances of Postgred on one FreeBSD server
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On May 8, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Jim Mercer wrote:

> On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 05:29:53PM +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>> 1st the above links do not reveal anything new.
>> 2nd, judging by the wiki : https://wiki.freebsd.org/Jails ,
>> jailified SysV IPC (or SysV IPC-ified jails) (the specific territory where pgsql comes in contact with jails)
>> are in stalled state.
>
> ah, hrm.
>
> to be honest, i was making some assumptions, and now that i think of it, yeah
> the shared memory stuff is the likely cause of problems.

Use a different UID for the pgsql user in each jail if you run more than one.

> i was pretty sure that i was running pgsql in jails, and i looked at the
> servers i set up that way, only to find that i had build the server on
> the main system, and ran pgsql-client inside the jails, without issues.

We've been running multiple jails each with PG inside the jail for years, I
don't recall anything terribly special there aside from:

-ensure that PG in each jail runs under a unique UID
-ensure the sysctls for shared mem stuff are high enough to handle multiple
 running PG instances
-ensure that you have set jail_sysvipc_allow="YES" in rc.conf

Trimming the rest after that top-posting discussion. :)

Charles