Differential backup in database migration

От Alex Balashov
Тема Differential backup in database migration
Дата
Re: Differential backup in database migration  (Paul Smith <paul@pscs.co.uk>)
Re: Differential backup in database migration  (Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I sincerely apologise if this is a stupid question, in that it has been answered enough times to enter an FAQ canon:

I’m faced with the daunting prospect of upgrading a PG 9.6 installation to 14, in the process migrating a ~400 GB
database.Due to the large jump in major versions, the on-disk block storage of course will not be in the slightest bit
binary-compatible,so I will have to dump out the DB & import it into the target DB, live via a network pipe.

This process is time-consuming, and can’t afford the downtime on the old 9.6 DB. The issue, of course, is that the 9.6
DBwill change during the time this snapshot is being dumped out and imported. Ultimately, the target database will need
tobe brought into consistency with the incumbent database (more or less) at the point of a cut-over.

I suppose the most intuitive solution to me would be to import the snapshot to the target DB, then take another,
smallerdifferential backup of some kind, and in turn import that. But perhaps there’s another solution altogether, i.e.
amuch faster backup & restore? I see that pgBackRest makes this argument to the prospective user.

I have no experience with pgBackRest or any such tool, so would appreciate any advice on how to best go about this!

Thank you in advance, and apologies again if the question is asked routinely.

— Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)