Executing external program from stored procedure

От Benjamin Krajmalnik
Тема Executing external program from stored procedure
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Is there a way to execute an external program from within a stored procedure?
In pl/pgsql it does not appear to be supported.
Will pl/perl allow me to do so?
A little background.  I have a network monitoring platform which we developed.  The collector has the capability of issuing a single query for each test it performs.  We hae a massive stored procedure which aggreates data in real time and then stores the individual test data in the database.  This has some great pluses, in which we can graph averages of various tests, which cannot be done with something like rrdtool.  On the downside, while relatively fast, it is not as fast in rendering a graph as rrdtool.

The stored procedure is written in pl/pgsql.  I would like, for each test, to call rrdtool and insert a reading in the tests rrd database.  This will allow us to render certain graphs much quicker.

Is there a way in pl/perl to call an outside  program?  IN this case I would have out pl/pgsql procedure call a pl/perl p[rocedure, passing the relevant arguments, and have it call rrdtool to insert the data point.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Regards,

Benjamin