Re: Does anyone backup directly on Synology NAS using Barman orsimilar?

От Rui DeSousa
Тема Re: Does anyone backup directly on Synology NAS using Barman orsimilar?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Jul 8, 2019, at 12:38 PM, Thorsten Schöning <tschoening@am-soft.de> wrote:

Hi all,

Recently things have changed a bit additionally, since we are backing
Postgres up directly on a Synology NAS onto that NAS now. So there's
no additional fully blown Linux/Windows host copying things to some
share or stuff, but instead the NAS itself executes scripts taking
care of pg_start_backup, copying things around etc. simply using SSH.

What is PostgreSQL disk topology -- file system, local storage or using the NAS? Have you looked into snapshots?

I already read that the exclusive backups we take now are deprecated
anyway[1] and that shared backups need an open session during the time
of the backup, which makes custom scripts additionally difficult.

Here’s an example of a bash script using a pipe to issue the non exclusive start/stop backup command:

https://www.commandprompt.com/blog/postgresql-non-exclusive-base-Backup-bash/