Does anyone backup directly on Synology NAS using Barman or similar?

От Thorsten Schöning
Тема Does anyone backup directly on Synology NAS using Barman or similar?
Дата
Re: Does anyone backup directly on Synology NAS using Barman orsimilar?  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

we are reviewing our current backup process based on the low level
pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup using the exclusive approach. And
thanks to many of you caring about my former questions, what we
currently do seems to be broken. :-) I already had switching to e.g.
Barman in mind for quite some time, but simply couldn't make it yet.

Recently things have changed a bit additionally, since we are backing
Postgres up directly on a Synology NAS onto that NAS now. So there's
no additional fully blown Linux/Windows host copying things to some
share or stuff, but instead the NAS itself executes scripts taking
care of pg_start_backup, copying things around etc. simply using SSH.
I already read that the exclusive backups we take now are deprecated
anyway[1] and that shared backups need an open session during the time
of the backup, which makes custom scripts additionally difficult.

Does anyone use a Synology NAS as well and runs complex software like
Barman or alternatives directly on the NAS?

I would like to read about how to set things up, experiences about how
smooth things run over a longer period of time, how it's handled
during upgrading the OS of the NAS itself and stuff. I did some
research on that topic myself of course but the only things I found
where using the NAS as storage only, while the software actually
executed somewhere else.

I would just like to know if it's a real option to not need an
additional host or if that would be a waste of time most likely.
Thanks again for your insights!

[1]: https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/exclusive-backup-deprecated-what-now/#

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning