Re: Beta 1.6: Output Headers refresh in slow motion

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Beta 1.6: Output Headers refresh in slow motion
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

From: pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Harald Armin Massa
Sent: 15 September 2006 15:08
To: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] Beta 1.6: Output Headers refresh in slow motion

I am totally fascinated with 1.6 ... and do more and more queries in that joyfull Query window!

The "underlining of the errornous character" is really a big help for small typing misstakes, GREAT!

On the Data Output grid, something could be better: those grey column headers get refreshed in slow motion.

It happens when I switch pgadmin to the background and then back to the foreground ... they blob in one after the other, with a clear recognizable delay between each.

Also with queries with bigger result sets from distant (as in WAN) server: data rather flashes into the grid, but the headers drop in one by one; as if every header has to be confirmed by at least 1 core developer.

It seems to get slower over time ... that is with more concurrently open output panes or longer runtime of pgadmin; but that is not confirmed yet.

Same "slow motion" is happening on resizing the output pane panel.

What's happening is that when the grid control redraws itself, it asks the dataset what the header labels should be. The dataset then queries the database to get the correct typename (because libpq's PGresult only stores the type OIDs) for each column.

I've committed a fix that will cache the type names as they are requested so that after the initial display, subsequent redraws won't cause any queries to be sent to the backend.

Of course, this behaviour doesn't show up on a fast PC running the server on localhost :-)

Regards, Dave.