Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file

От Bossart, Nathan
Тема Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/26/21, 7:33 AM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
>> On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 06:19:03PM -0800, SATYANARAYANA NARLAPURAM wrote:
>>> If we are keeping it then why not make it better?
>
>> Well, non-exclusive backups are better by design in many aspects, so I
>> don't quite see the point in spending time on something that has more
>> limitations than what's already in place.
>
> IMO the main reason for keeping it is backwards compatibility for users
> who have a satisfactory backup arrangement using it.  That same argument
> implies that we shouldn't change how it works (at least, not very much).

The issues with exclusive backups seem to be fairly well-documented
(e.g., c900c15), but perhaps there should also be a note in the
"Backup Control Functions" table [0].

Nathan

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-BACKUP