Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file
Дата
Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 06:19:03PM -0800, SATYANARAYANA NARLAPURAM wrote:
>> If we are keeping it then why not make it better?

> Well, non-exclusive backups are better by design in many aspects, so I
> don't quite see the point in spending time on something that has more
> limitations than what's already in place.

IMO the main reason for keeping it is backwards compatibility for users
who have a satisfactory backup arrangement using it.  That same argument
implies that we shouldn't change how it works (at least, not very much).